Tulips in pots
It is beautiful with raised tulips and you can get that by planting them in pots. It is not at all difficult and they will make the garden pretty from early spring to May, where the bulbous plants wither.
Text and photos: Mathias Emil
Tulips are wonderful and here is a guide on how to grow them.
- Put the bulbs in pots during autumn, in a depth equalling 3 times the size of the bulb. You can use leftover soil from the summer flower pots. It doesn’t matter that the soil is dense and without many nutrients. The bulbs are bringing their own lunchbox inside themselves and they are ready to grow and bloom. You should place the bulbs close to each other – almost side by side.
- Then cover the bulbs with soil and irrigate the pots.
- Put the pots in your greenhouse or under the eaves. It is important that the pots don’t get too much water during the winter, as you risk the bulbs rotting.
- When the green sprouts show, you should irrigate again.
- Then all that is left is to wait and look forward to the beautiful tulips that will bloom in different colours.
Tulips bring a nice colour scheme for the garden and around the greenhouse. Here are the two sorts Louvre Orange and Flaming Apeldoorn.
Om Mathias Emil Pedersen
Mathias Emil Pedersen
The winner of the Danish horticultural TV programme “The Big Allotment Garden” in 2018.
He loves gardens and has an allotment garden in Odense, Denmark. Mathias has grown flowers and crops for many years in his allotment garden. Since the Tv programme, he has gotten a greenhouse, decorated it and is now cultivating according to the seasons.
- Current blog posts
- Three tips for the greenhouse
- For the plants to grow it takes fertilizer but which one?
- Sterile soil is not good for the plants
- Greenhouse plants also get sick
- Hens in the garden
- Provide shade for your plants
- The philosophical gardener’s theory of perennials
- Create good living conditions for animals and insects in the garden
- The golf courses great secret
- What you need to be aware of when growing in plastic