It's easy to make an ice lamp. You just need two bowls. One, you pour water into. The other, a little smaller, you put in the water and put something heavy in, but not so heavy that it touches the bottom. One night in the cold and the ice lamp is ready.
Photo: Grøn Kommunikation
If we get frost and it keeps going, you can make a nice ice lamp that will spread cosiness in the garden and driveway. An ice lamp is easy to make.
- Half fill a plastic bowl with water. Put a smaller bowl in and keep it down with a stone.
- Set the mould outside in the cold and you will have an ice lantern next morning.
Demineralized water makes clearer ice.
You can put flowers in the water to make a decoration or pour colour into the water to get coloured lanterns. If you do not like to use your bowls, you can buy a mould. If thaw comes, just put the bowl in the freezer.
Om Lars Lund
Danish horticulturist and journalist
Lars Lund has for many years engaged in the garden and greenhouse. Lars has published many books about greenhouses, and he has participated in many Danish horticultural TV shows. He is a walking garden encyclopaedia, and he has answers for most basic cultivation questions – also the more ambitious ones.
- Current blog posts
- Three tips for the greenhouse
- For the plants to grow it takes fertilizer but which one?
- Sterile soil is not good for the plants
- Greenhouse plants also get sick
- Hens in the garden
- Provide shade for your plants
- The philosophical gardener’s theory of perennials
- Create good living conditions for animals and insects in the garden
- The golf courses great secret
- What you need to be aware of when growing in plastic