A new sunflower will give you sun on a rainy day
A new type of sunflower blossoms with up to 1000 flowers from June to November
If you miss the sun on a rainy day you should get the new sunflower. It is not an ordinary sunflower but a shrub with the difficult name Helianthus SunBelievable “Brown Eyed Girl”. It was seen the first time in 2018 where it was presented at the famous Chelsea Flower Show. It won the third place as that year’s novelty.
I got it in spring and transplanted it into a pot. I have since then brought it to my summerhouse as I can’t go without it, and now it is on its way back to my garden. My sunflower will never set records in height, but it gets new shoots from the sides constantly. One shrub should be able to blossom with 1000 flowers from June to November. It is pretty spectacular. Remember to take seeds from the plant when it withers, then you’ll have new flowers next year.
Om Lars Lund
Danish horticulturist and journalist
Lars Lund has for many years engaged in the garden and greenhouse. Lars has published many books about greenhouses, and he has participated in many Danish horticultural TV shows. He is a walking garden encyclopaedia, and he has answers for most basic cultivation questions – also the more ambitious ones.
- Current blog posts
- Three tips for the greenhouse
- For the plants to grow it takes fertilizer but which one?
- Sterile soil is not good for the plants
- Greenhouse plants also get sick
- Hens in the garden
- Provide shade for your plants
- The philosophical gardener’s theory of perennials
- Create good living conditions for animals and insects in the garden
- The golf courses great secret
- What you need to be aware of when growing in plastic